Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 2

9/7/12

Hi friends!

I hope you all enjoyed my very first blog post ever! I want to share the website that got me started with this whole transformation in the first place.  If you are curious as to what impossible-to-decipher-potentially-harmful ingredients lie in your everyday products, please take a look.

Cosmetic Database

When I searched my products such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, and lotion; I was appalled.  This website determines the toxicity level from 1-10 of everyday bath and beauty products and breaks down all those chemical names such as: DISODIUM PEG 12 DIMETHICONE SULFOSUCCINATE...... Really? I don't know about you but that seriously grosses me out. That can't possibly be beneficial to my skin and other affected organs.



When I realized that 3/4 of my products were given a rating of 6 or higher, I was disturbed and did an all-day purge of those bad boys. What bothered me the most was the fact that some of the chemicals have been linked to cancer, and others have a harmful effects on the endocrine (reproductive) system. So long chemicals.. Me and my ovaries don't need any additional "disruptions" from methylparabens.

Lucky for me, unlucky for our bank account, there is a Whole Foods about an hour away.  We took a family trip as soon as my husband got home after I junked most of the bottles in my bathroom.  I will share some of my goodies in future entries. But please be aware- just because a "health food store" carries a product, doesn't mean it is safe.  Read labels. If there are mysterious chemicals, steer clear.  If you can't read the name of a chemical, it is probably not a good idea to be using it.

DON'T WORRY: I am completely prepared to show you how to replace your harmful products with homemade, inexpensive, non-toxic, natural yummy goodness if you so choose.

Get to that database this weekend and decide what you can live without! Trust me, I know it's not necessarily an easy thing to do (especially if you hate to waste things like me) but it is so completely worth it and you will feel much better in the long run :-)

Good Luck <3

*P.S. - Parents with children or expecting a child, please look into their shampoos, lotions, wipes, and baby wash.  These companies don't care if they harm even the most innocent lives.  Young children have especially sensitive systems and we need to be careful what their skin absorbs.*

No comments:

Post a Comment